UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada condemn Israel's West Bank settlement project

Image source, AFP via Getty ImagesImage caption, File photo of the Israeli settlement of Maale Adumim in the occupied West Bank next to the so-called E1 project in East Jerusalem, taken in February 2026
Israel's plans to open up tenders for the construction of some 1,200 settlement homes in a strategically important part of the occupied West Bank have sparked fresh condemnation by major Western powers.
In a joint statement, the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada called the decision "unacceptable", external and urged Israel to "retract the plans immediately".
All settlements are illegal under international law and, under international pressure, Israel held off for decades on plans to build in E1 to the east of Jerusalem.
Many of its allies and Palestinians argued this development would deal a major blow to hopes of a two-state solution, effectively cutting the West Bank in two and isolating east Jerusalem.
Israel opens up bids for highly sensitive West Bank settlement project
Published26 July"At a time of grave instability in the West Bank with unprecedented levels of violence by settlers against civilians, and serious restrictions on the Palestinian economy, this decision is even more concerning", the statement from the European allies and Canada published on Thursday said.
"Not only will they [the plans] take us further from peace, but they further undermine Israel's international standing," the statement added.
In a separate statement, the UN secretary general also said the E1 plan posed an "existential threat" to a contiguous Palestinian state - and so did Belgium's foreign minister.
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband's condemnation earlier on Thursday had drawn "ouright" rejection by the Israeli foreign minister.
Despite an Israeli court challenge to the plans by Bedouin Palestinians living in the area and Israeli peace groups, on Wednesday the Israeli housing ministry issued a tender for 1,234 of the 3,401 housing units approved by the Israeli government last August.
It covers about 12 sq km (4.6 sq miles) between East Jerusalem and the settlement of Maale Adumim.
At the time of their unveiling, Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich - an ultranationalist and settler - said the idea of a Palestinian state was "being erased".
The deadline for bids is 19 October, just days before Israel's general election on 27 October, making it much harder for any future government to overturn any tenders issued.
Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank and East Jerusalem - land Palestinians want, along with Gaza, for a hoped-for future state - during the 1967 Middle East war. An estimated 3.3 million Palestinians live alongside them.
Despite the fierce international opposition, successive Israeli governments have allowed settlements to grow.
However, expansion has risen sharply since Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu returned to power in late 2022 at the head of a right-wing, pro-settler coalition, as well as the start of the Gaza war, triggered by Hamas's 7 October 2023 attack on Israel.
Opponents of the E1 project have warned that it would effectively block the establishment of a Palestinian state because it would cut off the north of the West Bank from the south, and prevent the development in the centre of a contiguous Palestinian urban area connecting Ramallah, East Jerusalem and Bethlehem.
Israel opens up bids for highly sensitive West Bank settlement project
PreviousNext0:21Flash flooding risk as heavy rain hits UK. 00:00:21, play videoFlash flooding risk as heavy rain hits UK1:34Tupac trial: Keffe D claimed Diddy ordered hit. 00:01:34, play videoTupac trial: Keffe D claimed Diddy ordered hit1:27'I was chased down by an e-motorbike rider' 00:01:27, play video'I was chased down by an e-motorbike rider'0:50What people think of Harry and Meghan's return. 00:00:50, play videoWhat people think of Harry and Meghan's return1:31Are eggs safe to eat? Your salmonella questions answered. 00:01:31, play videoAre eggs safe to eat? Your salmonella questions answered1:11What we know about Israel's criminal investigations. 00:01:11, play videoWhat we know about Israel's criminal investigations0:23Streets become 'rivers' as flash flooding hits Edinburgh. 00:00:23, play videoStreets become 'rivers' as flash flooding hits Edinburgh1:01Man calls 999 after buying alcohol-free gin by mistake. 00:01:01, play videoMan calls 999 after buying alcohol-free gin by mistake0:57'I studied alongside apprentices who got the place I wanted' 00:00:57, play video'I studied alongside apprentices who got the place I wanted'0:35Illegal 'drip pricing' could add thousands to the cost of your holiday. 00:00:35, play videoIllegal 'drip pricing' could add thousands to the cost of your holiday1:10Why is postpartum psychosis central in the Lindsay Clancy trial? 00:01:10, play videoWhy is postpartum psychosis central in the Lindsay Clancy trial?0:33Chilli and sesame butter bean bowl. 00:00:33, play videoChilli and sesame butter bean bowl1:01Did you know catfish can 'walk'? 00:01:01, play videoDid you know catfish can 'walk'?1:27Tupac murder trial: The witness who challenged Keffe D's lawyer. 00:01:27, play videoTupac murder trial: The witness who challenged Keffe D's lawyer0:28Jellyfish mesmerise in their own museum. 00:00:28, play videoJellyfish mesmerise in their own museum1:12Why Australia's mushroom murderer is appealing her conviction. 00:01:12, play videoWhy Australia's mushroom murderer is appealing her conviction1:11Why some sellers are complaining about Vinted. 00:01:11, play videoWhy some sellers are complaining about VintedTop storiesHarry and Meghan's return to UK reignites questions over security
Watch: What does Harry's return mean for his fractured relationship with William?
Five key takeaways from GCSE results day 2026
Unexpected GCSE results? This interactive guide runs through your options
Key moments from Harry and Meghan's years since leaving UK. VideoKey moments from Harry and Meghan's years since leaving UK
The dangers of politicians being 'too online' - or not online enough
Coolcations: 'They used to joke about our weather - now they can't wait for the rain'
'I can't do the things my friends do': Life as a teenage carer
India's Gen Z are driving up a mega boom in its beauty market
Vapes could lead to health harms in children, doctors warn
Meet the woman helping abuse victims stay active
Royal Watch: Get the latest royal stories and analysis with Sean Coughlan’s weekly newsletter
The new series of Vigil is defrosting: Watch the trailer here
Intense courtroom clashes in the latest trial updates
Chris Packham explores four billion years of evolution
How have decades of clinical research overlooked women?
Academic who accused Jason Arday of plagiarism suspended by university
US says sanctions will 'squash' Iran's economy and 'collapse' its regime
John Swinney defends £45,000 business-class flights to World Cup
Harry and Meghan's return to UK reignites questions over security
Belgian car salesman becomes prince after royal parentage confirmed
UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada condemn Israel's West Bank settlement project
Five key takeaways from GCSE results day 2026
How did some houses survive the Stourbridge fire while neighbours lost everything?
Missing teen hiker found dead in Australian bush after eight-day search
Quik News synthesizes verified facts across international press reporting. Original reporting belongs to the attributed outlets above.




