Tupac murder trial: 'All hell broke loose' night of rapper's shooting, witness says

To play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.This video can not be played
Watch: What we learned from opening statements in Tupac Shakur’s murder trial
In the opening day of Tupac Shakur's murder trial, prosecutors painted former gang leader Duane "Keffe D" Davis as someone seeking revenge before masterminding the drive-by shooting that killed the iconic rapper.
Witnesses took a Las Vegas jury back in time three decades ago to the night Shakur was shot, when gangs had a hold over '90s hip-hop and distrust in police led to a lack of cooperation - and one of the most famous cold cases of the last century.
Davis, 63, is charged with Shakur's murder.
Prosecutors allege that although Davis did not fire the gun that killed the influential rapper, he allegedly orchestrated the killing. Davis has denied the allegations and pleaded not guilty.
What to know as a gang leader goes on trial in Tupac's murder
Published27 minutes agoIn opening arguments, the prosecution portrayed Davis as the ringleader of the group responsible for the shooting - and point to a memoir he co-authored where he wrote in detail about the night of the shooting.
"Let's be clear, Duane Davis did not pull the trigger. But he did plan the shooting in retaliation of the beating of his nephew," Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal told the jury. "Remarkably, you will learn that from Duane Davis himself."
Davis' attorneys called the narrative "fiction", dubbing the case a product of a flawed-decades-long investigation. Davis has distanced himself from the memoir, saying he didn't write all of it and parts were fictionalised to sell more copies.
Davis, wearing a navy suit and blue tie, sat with his defence team as they questioned why no one had been arrested for nearly three decades and asked why "no one corroborates any of this".
"What facts do they have after 30 years?" his attorney Michael Sanft questioned.
The prosecution's first witness was Garry Dale, who was working for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department at the time of the shooting in September 1996.
The officer detailed riding in an ambulance with Shakur after he'd been shot. He said the rapper refused to offer any information on what happened and who had shot him. "We'll take care of it," Shakur said, according to the officer's testimony.
At the core of the case is East Coast vs West Coast rap rivalries and turf wars between the Bloods and the Crips street gangs that were immortalised in rap lyrics and news reports in the 1990s.
Police have long said said a lack of cooperation in the case led to dead ends in their investigation. Members of the rapper's entourage, though, have accused authorities of initially treating them like suspects and failing to follow important leads.
Throughout the day on Monday, prosecutors painted that picture for the jury, explaining that there were no formal criminal charges in the shooting because in the world of guns and gangs "silence means survival".
But "one person" who had a hard time staying silent was the defendant, prosecutors said, noting that Davis gave a "number" of statements on the case between 1998 and 2003.
Prosecutors allege Davis planned the shooting after his nephew Orlando Anderson was involved in a fight with Shakur in Las Vegas hours earlier. They argued Davis believed the attack on his nephew could not "go unanswered".
The iconic rapper was just 25 years old when he was gunned down after a Mike Tyson boxing match on 7 September 1996. He died six days after the shooting.
Prosecutors contend that Davis - a former leader of the South Side Compton Crips street gang - was the "on-ground, on-site commander" who "ordered the death" of Shakur.
The murder case had largely gone cold until public statements made by Davis himself, who published a memoir in 2019. In it, and in various interviews, Davis has claimed he was a passenger in the vehicle that fired into Shakur's car that night.
He said in the book that he gave the gun used in the murder to his nephew, Anderson, who shot the rapper.
His attorneys have argued the book is fiction and shouldn't be used as evidence in a criminal trial relating to a case from three decades ago, but a judge ruled it could be used in court.
His defence team has pointed to missing police reports, disputed evidence and "biased, sloppy and incomplete" detective work.
They alleged prosecutors relied on "unreliable people with criminal records, financial motivations and inconsistent statements".
The defence also argued witnesses changed their stories over time and were influenced by money, media attention or information supplied by investigators.
What we learned from opening statements
Published8 hours agoImage source, AFP via Getty ImagesOpening statements began on Monday after a week of jury selection. Over the next few weeks, witnesses, experts, investigators and possibly even some celebrity witnesses are slated to give evidence about what occurred that night.
Prosecutors allege that Davis acquired a gun and organised two vehicles to travel to a Las Vegas club, one of them a white Cadillac, which carried three other men, including his nephew, Anderson.
Palal told the jury they the men decided to "get some booze and go back to the Vegas strip and party", prosecutors said. On their journey, however, they saw a caravan of cars - and spotted Shakur and Death Row Records co-founder Marion "Suge" Knight in one of the vehicles.
Palal alleges that's when Davis and the others in the Cadillac decided to make a U-turn and confront Shakur and Knight. Davis, who was in the passenger seat, he said, passed a gun to Anderson, who shot into Shakur's car.
Ingrid Stokes, who was present at the time of the shooting, testified that she and her friends were driving around Las Vegas that night, before they ran into Knight and Shakur.
Her friend knew Knight, and he suggested the women follow them to a club, Stokes said. They started to drive through Vegas, but "there was a car behind us, trying to get in front of us," Stokes recounted.
At one point, they stopped at a light and pulled over to switch drivers due to concerns about the other vehicle.
"We were head down, taking our seat belts off, when we heard the gunshots," Stokes testified. "All hell broke loose."
PreviousNext0:54Thousands attend vigil following Jason Arday's death. 00:00:54, play videoThousands attend vigil following Jason Arday's death0:54PM messaged with person posing as Trump official. 00:00:54, play videoPM messaged with person posing as Trump official0:42What Hayden Panettiere's book told us about her life. 00:00:42, play videoWhat Hayden Panettiere's book told us about her life0:33Five teens killed in crash after driving on wrong side of motorway. 00:00:33, play videoFive teens killed in crash after driving on wrong side of motorway1:33'I did my GCSEs with my eyes' 00:01:33, play video'I did my GCSEs with my eyes'1:37'I used food banks while my ex owed thousands in child maintenance' 00:01:37, play video'I used food banks while my ex owed thousands in child maintenance'0:46Tupac's brother says trial won't bring justice. 00:00:46, play videoTupac's brother says trial won't bring justice1:37A week in Glasgow's city centre 'no-go zone' 00:01:37, play videoA week in Glasgow's city centre 'no-go zone'1:01Who is the man accused of murdering Tupac Shakur? 00:01:01, play videoWho is the man accused of murdering Tupac Shakur?1:09Viv, the 82-year-old fashion influencer. 00:01:09, play videoViv, the 82-year-old fashion influencer1:30Influencers getting 'too close' to sharks, scientists warn. 00:01:30, play videoInfluencers getting 'too close' to sharks, scientists warn0:49The search for child's birthday gifts after his mum is killed. 00:00:49, play videoThe search for child's birthday gifts after his mum is killed1:21How to tackle nerves like an elite athlete. 00:01:21, play videoHow to tackle nerves like an elite athlete0:37World's Ugliest Dog contest crowns 2026 winner. 00:00:37, play videoWorld's Ugliest Dog contest crowns 2026 winner1:11'My interview with Fidel Castro' 00:01:11, play video'My interview with Fidel Castro'Top storiesTrump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it 'gets in the way' over Iran deal
Russia warns UK over supplying drones to Ukraine
Fifa official sacked after Infantino plan criticism
Young adults are taking prescription drugs instead of alcohol - and it's dividing experts
To joke or not to joke?: How to write a good out-of-office message
What to know about Tupac's murder trial and the gang leader accused of orchestrating his death
The Papers: 'Who duped PM?' and 'Pep's agony'
Does Reform's plan to cut £50bn in welfare spending add up?
Australia's mushroom murderer Erin Patterson is appealing - here's what you need to know
Hayden Panettiere: A life of struggles alongside screen success
Future Earth newsletter: Keep up with the latest climate news with Justin Rowlatt
Ready for Series 3? Dive back into the drama from the beginning
The rise and fall of a transatlantic cocaine empire
Love shouldn't feel like fear
The shadowy power behind the world's biggest porn company
Russia warns UK over supplying drones to Ukraine
'Who duped PM?' and 'Pep's agony'
Tributes to actress Hayden Panettiere as coroner finds 'no signs of trauma'
Young adults are taking prescription drugs instead of alcohol - and it's dividing experts
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it 'gets in the way' over Iran deal
Heavy showers and thunderstorms bring risk of flash flooding to UK
Disabled people in England to get 24-hour free bus travel
Ex-workers tell of 'chaotic atmosphere' at new £400m prison
Fifa official sacked after Infantino plan criticism
Jason Arday's family 'still coming to terms' with his death as vigil held
Quik News synthesizes verified facts across international press reporting. Original reporting belongs to the attributed outlets above.




